Thursday, July 2, 2009

Being "in the moment" - Not always the best choice

I am really good at sleeping. And in the mornings, I am a textbook example of Newton's first law of motion: "Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it." (http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr161/lect/history/newton3laws.html)

When the alarm goes off, my mind rebels. I can easily go back to what I was doing before the "external force" tried to apply itself.

My thoughts in that moment are that I need more sleep. Just that simple. It doesn't matter how long I've already been sleeping. If there isn't an obligation on the schedule, my mind and body collaborate to convince me that I need more sleep.

HOWEVER, here's what I've noticed. When eventually, I disregard that first thought and force myself to start moving, I am pretty awake and happy within a few minutes.

This same cycle of thought processes can occur when I contemplate exercising, or cooking a balanced meal that includes vegetables, or composing an approach letter to someone in my network.

My conclusion: For me, there are some moments that I should not engage in. They simply don't serve my higher purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment